Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Beyond My Wildest Dreams

It is after midnight, everyone has gone to bed, the lights are out and I'm sitting in the dark with the biggest smile on my face. If people saw me right now they may think I am in another world...But I am not in another world, I am right here feeling very grateful for my life.

As I sit here and reflect about my life the past (Cough Cough) 40+ years I can't help but acknowledge where I am today. Throughout the years there has been so much adversity, sadness and trauma, I think there is no way I can continue to be a positive individual, there is just too much. But then I stop myself and say "Shelley, take it all and use it as a gift, you survived and you are so wise because of it". As I sit with my thoughts I begin to realize that God has given me a tall order, why, because he knows I can handle it. If I have been through all of that, and survived I can do anything!

The past 25 years I worked in a warehouse and last summer everything changed. I knew since forever I wanted to be of service to people, but I didn't know how, well, it became clear about 5 years ago. As I've written in previous blogs, I completed my Coaching designation and started to plan out my career transition. But every door I knocked on, was closed in my face, every phone call I made, there was a hang up, and every resume sent there was a no. I thought how am I ever going to transition what God has called me to do if no one believes in me!?

That was up until this past year. Last summer my work closed down and I was permanently laid off, most people would have been devastated but I was over joyed, this was my ticket out of there. So in this past year, I've had the biggest personal growth in my life. It all began with attending Lifeclass with Oprah in Toronto, part of the founding OWN Ambassadors group, private lunch with Oprah, Oprah following me on Twitter, breakfast with DeVon Franklin, after party with Iyanla Vanzant, and the list goes on and on.

Then this past November the universe alignment continued, I reached out to my high school friend Derrick Shirley who had a vision. For several months I watched his journey, and I knew I wanted to get involved, so I asked what can I do to help with IT2 (It Takes 2 Youth Leadership Institute)? Being lead by someone as brilliant as Derrick Shirley has not only help me grow as an individual, but he is the first person in my life who has given me the confidence to do a job that I wasn't even sure I could do (Public Relations). He believed in me, and because of that I believe in myself.

I am a quiet girl (okay maybe not so quiet) who made the right choices, worked hard, chased her dreams, and is now sitting here with some of the greatest connections. Whether it is Oprah Winfrey, OWN Network, DeVon Franklin, Iyanla Vanzant, or the police across Canada, I'd say I've done something right. Hard work and perseverance pays off, what are you willing to do to accomplish your dreams?

My closing comments...If you want it, DREAMBIG and MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

Much Love,
Shelley xo

No comments:

Post a Comment