Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 5, 2012

Living The Dream - Day 2 California, Santa Monica

Today we had a slow start to the day, but once we got up and on the go, we went downstairs to pick up the car we had rented. With the car we ended up renting a GPS, we named her Nora. There is Bionca, Misty, Jan, Eliza and myself traveling in the rental car, I will refer to ourselves as the Road Dogs (Bionca named us). Once we familiarized ourselves with the car, and set up the GPS, we were off.

The drive to Santa Monica was only about 15 mins, but it was such a pretty drive, I just took in all the palm trees, ocean, and people. It was so beautiful. When we arrived, Jan parked the car, and then we all turned around to walk toward the beach. I couldn't wait to put my feet in the sand. The sun was warm, bright, and the beach was spectacular. There were trails in the middle of the beach for people to walk, roller blade or ride their bikes.

We slowly started making our way to the pier, but we stopped several times along the way. When I looked out to the ocean you could see the Life Guard Stations all along the beach. Baywatch was filmed there, so of course I had to re-enact a Pamela Anderson scene by running on the beach. Okay I know I probably didn't look like her, but in my head I did LOL. As we walked along we came upon a bunch of swings, so of course I ran for the swing to have some fun. It was great acting like a kid, I tend to do that alot. I think not having much of a childhood, allows me to make up for it as an adult. We all took turns on the swings, and just had fun, it was good times.

Once we finished with our fun at the swings we made our way to the pier. We noticed there was a Bubba Gump Shrimp Restaurant, we were all hungry so we decided to eat at Bubba Gump's. As we arrived we put our name on the waiting list and ventured into the store until our name was called. Most of us purchased an item or two. It was a great little spot with the most delicious food. If I ever go to Santa Monica's again, I will be sure to eat at Bubba Gump's. A great atmosphere with great food! We finished up and then Jan and I spoke to our wonderful waitress Kelly for a few minutes about her art of poetry. What a great waitress, if your ever in Bubba Gump's in Santa Monica, ask to sit in Kelly's section, she was wonderful.

After lunch we decided to head down to the beach, to play in the sand and the ocean. We stopped and listen to a few traveling kid musicians (who were homeless) play music on the beach. Initially I felt so sad for them, and wanted to play my Motherly role and "save" them, but after talking to them I realized they are right where they want to be. They are free spirited, riding around from state to state on freight cars with their guitars, and their 2 dogs. I really enjoyed talking with these young adults, and I could really feel their passion for their music. Like everyone, they have a story, and I was compelled to listen to theirs. I appreciate their strength and courage to follow their dreams, to them the cost of their dream is irrelevant. I get that!

After listening and talking to the traveling musicans, we all rolled up our pants and frolicked along the ocean. I walked off on my own and went and checked under the pier at Santa Monica's. I broke out and started singing "Under the Boardwalk" it just seemed so appropriate. People may have thought I was crazy, but I didn't care LOL, it's not everyday I get to walk under Santa Monica Pier. We all ended up gathering on the beach to wait for another Canadian OWN Ambassador. Within a few minutes Helen showed up and we just hung around talked, and took pictures. After taking it all in, we headed up on the pier to check out the different shops. and find a spot where we could watch the sunset.

We all headed in different directions to see different things, at one point Misty and I were together and then I was stopped by a crew from Walmart Communities and asked if they could interview me. I said certainly. It was a great interview, they asked me what my opinion would be about bringing Walmart to Santa Monica. I did let them know I wasn't from there but they still wanted to continue with the interview.  Towards the end of the interview the host and I were dancing and having a great time. I just wish I could have remembered his name.

I eventually made my way to the end of Santa Monica Pier, on the walk down I picked up a couple of souvenirs, and stopped to listen to more entertainers. It was fun. All the ladies were there and ready to watch the sunset. The wait was worth it, the sunset was absolutely spectacular, the colours were vibrant and the ocean was calm. I just stood there and absorb the beauty of it all. Here I am in California living the dream, and watching one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. Life is good!

Overall the day was amazing, good friends, good food, and great weather. Today was just perfect.

Thanks for stopping by...

Shelley

Under The Boardwalk - Santa Monica Pier







The Road Dogs

The Travellin' Musicians

Interview for Walmart Communities









No comments:

Post a Comment