Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 25, 2012

Empowering Your Teen

I am a mother of 3, an 18 year old son, a 16 year old daughter, and a 4 year old daughter. As the kids grow up I can't help but think where the time went. As the older ones go through their teens,  I watch them navigate through challenges, and responsibilities and think to myself, it is so different now. I see kids struggle on a daily basis with their feelings and emotions, and instead of channeling their feelings in a productive way, they turn to self infliction i.e. cutting, losing weight, drinking, drugs.
 

Growing up when I did there was no Social Media, sure there was a social expectation on how we were suppose to look but I never cared, I didn't let it control my life instead I threw myself into sports. I did not let society tell me how to live my life or how to look. The purpose for my blog is to provide tools to parents with teenagers. As a parent, Certified Coach, and a mentor, I strive on giving my children a better life.
 

My family is like every other family who has teens, there are constant struggles, and challenges that we work on as a family. Because we have open communication lines it keeps my kids open and honest, regardless of the topic we will sit down and discuss. I think it works for us is because I don't pass judgement, I may not agree with topic, but allowing them to feel heard and validated will allow the flow of the conversation.
 

A few tools to help you communicate and empower your teens;

  • Let your kids get dirty, children need to explore
  • Give them time to try to do a task themselves rather than "rescue them" by giving advice or doing it for them.
  • Encourage them to work out their own solutions.
  • Encourage your kids to state their opinions and thoughts, and listen without judgement
  • If your teen has trouble speaking out in class, practice with them at home and help them plan strategies for the classroom.  
  • Encourage them to participate in sports.
  • Watch television together and discuss the portrayal of women. (With your Daughters)
  • Find ways to help child develop skills for school, tutoring, time, etc.
  • See that they learn some basic mechanical, building, and repairing skills, and becomes familiar with tools.
  • Emphasize the importance of developing talents and interests.
  • Introduce them to strong role models.
  • Support your teens in pursuing their interests and in taking risks.
  • Give compliments on specific accomplishments.
  • Praise them, believe in them.

Happy Parenting...


Have a great day!

Much Love,
Shelley

1 comment:

  1. I learned how to define my personal boundaries and eliminate my fear and self-doubt. I also learned how to stop defining myself through my past failures and define myself through my many talents.

    ReplyDelete