Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Setting Boundaries

This is becoming a habit, I typically blog once a month, but this is almost becoming a daily thing (which is a great thing). Along with blogging I also write my personal thoughts into my journal, but for now I will share my basic thoughts on boundaries.

As many of you may know or not know I struggled growing up. My parents were unattached and unemotional to our needs as kids growing up. I grew up in a house of negativity, neglect and the list goes on. I am not sitting here to write a sad story to you, I want to show you by setting boundaries you can disassociate yourself from the story and not feel guilty.

If I don't like my story, I will change my story, I refuse to sit here and be forced to live in victim mode, I channel that energy into something that really matters. I give my full energy into my immediate family, friends and building my business/career, that is my priority and that is what I focus on.

What happens though when your family is suppose to be a source of support and in turn they are the ones that create your pain/problem/story. 

A few tools that I use on a daily basis to keep my self positive and not get reeled in, or feel guilty by the choices they make.

  • Self-Awareness
  • Setting boundaries
  • Strengthen my internal boundaries
  • Saying No
  • I will advise individuals, if you are not going to be a positive influence in my life, I choose to step away 

I read this paragraph and it really resonated with me  

Those of us raised in dysfunctional families have probably had little experience with healthy boundaries. Therefore, learning how to establish them must be an important goal in our personal growth. In order to achieve this, however, we must overcome low self-esteem and passivity; learn to identify and respect our rights and needs; and become skilled at assertively taking care of ourselves in relationships. This process allows our true selves to emerge, and healthy boundaries become the fences that keep us safe - something we may never have experienced in childhood. http://serenityonlinetherapy.com/healthyboundaries.htm

Thanks again for taking the time out to read  
"Setting Boundaries"

Have you said NO lately? 

Take Care,
Shelley

1 comment:

  1. I would actually have all of the facts about a situation but I would go into denial about what I had to do get a high impact result in the situation because often it meant a sacrifice or change of habit on my part. I would say it took me almost thirty years to stop "living hopefully" and then be crushed by the ensuing disasters made from uninformed or overly-optimistic choices.

    ReplyDelete